Saturday, December 16, 2006

Bye Bye Bayh

Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana has announced today that he will not be running for President in 2008.

"As you know I have been exploring helping the people of my state and our country in a different capacity," he wrote. "After talking with family and friends over the past several days, I have decided that this is not the year for me to run for President and I will not be a candidate for the presidency in 2008."

It wasn't an easy decision but it was the right one for my family, my friends and my state. I have always prided myself on putting my public responsibilities ahead of my own ambitions."

He conceded the odds were against him, describing himself as a "relatively unknown candidate."

"This path -- and these long odds -- would have required me to be essentially absent from the Senate for the next year instead of working to help the people of my state and the nation," he said in the statement.

The absence of Evan Bayh in the race means that Bill Richardson is now the only potential candidate who is a Governor. And we all know how well Senators have done over the last 40 years of Presidential contests. None of them have experience in the Executive branch, and certainly don't have the resume that Richardson has.

Bayh's decision not to run also means that if you think Hillary is too liberal, and Obama is too green (and he will likely be painted with the liberal label as well), the only reasonable alternative is Bill Richardson.

Editor's note: Apologies to NSync and all of the readers of this blog for the title, but I couldn't resist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home